Friday, March 16, 2012

Malbec - Pasadena, CA


On our way home from on of our favorite vacation spots, Palm Springs, we decided to take a slight detour to beautiful downtown Pasadena to have dinner.  As I was Yelp-ing it up in the passenger seat, I kept coming across the Argentinean restaurant by the name Malbec.  The only thing that made me go hmmmm, was the multiple reviews touting the Entrana al Chimichurri as the must-have.  This immediately made me question the sanity of the folks of Pasadena, as surely a skirt steak could not surpass the decadency of the veal sweetbreads, the flavor of the New York steak or the traditional empanadas, which also shared the menu.

However, being the Bad Ass that I am, I decided to give it a try.  (Note: I am not really sure how trying a skirt steak is Bad Ass, but I am feeling pretty good about myself today, so just let me have this one) 

I normally don't have a flair for the dramatic, but let me tell you...this dish definitely goes on my top 10.

The colors of this picture, albeit bright and bold, do not even come close to doing this dish justice.  It was incredible.  The boldness of the Chimichurri was by far one of the best flavors on a steak I have ever had.  The restaurant solely cooks over open flame which seared in all the flavor and moisture of everything on the plate.  My love of grilled vegetables was born at this family owned little gem in the heart of Pasadena.

So next time you find yourself traveling on the I-5 (or whatever other freeways are close to Pasadena...I am not Google maps), take the time to detour over to Malbec.  And order the Entrana al Chimichurri.  You will not be disappointed!

Cheers and Chimichurri!

No comments:

Post a Comment