Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Calories

In honor of David Letterman's Top 10 signs that America is Too Fat and for those of you who can't seem to grasp the concept that fattening foods will make you fat, tonight I will give praise to one of the best regulations our government has put into place.

Restaurants posting the nutritional values of their menu items.

To be fair, I will say that it is, at times, very confusing to make healthy choices at restaurants.  What is that?  You would like a few examples?  Geeze...it's like I have to everything for you.

Two caloric wake up calls I have had recently are as follows:

# 1
Applebees Chinese Chicken Salad
1340 Calories


Panera Asian Chicken Salad 
410 Calories

They are both amazing.  However, you can literally eat almost 3 1/2 of the Panera salads for just one of the Applebees.  Apparently Applebees secret ingredient is lard.



# 2
Prime Rib Dip
1008 Calories
(Not including Fries)

Crispy Arctic Cod Sandwich
610 Calories
(Not Including Fries)

How the fried fish sandwich is 400 calories less than the sliced steak sandwich is completely beyond me.  What on earth is in that steak?  Wait...I don't want to know.

We at Jen Eats Food are very calorie conscience, and yet, even we are surprised by the nutritional values of certain restaurant foods. 

This regulation will not only make individuals take responsibility for the foods they eat (and more importantly, the foods they are feeding their children), but I honestly hope it will also encourage restaurants to provide more healthy options.  And more importantly GOOD healthy options!

Tonight, I raise a glass to healthy and delicious food.  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I love the "we at Jen Eats Food"! You are too much and that is why I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete